Visa & residence permit information for bachelor’s degrees | CEU

Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions in Austria and the world, there may be delays with appointment booking at embassies and consulates. Please keep checking your local Austrian representation office for updates on working hours and changes to procedures.

Read more about travel restriction to Austria

Visa and residence permit information

Visa and residence permit applications can only be processed by the Austrian immigration authorities. You can find your nearest Austrian representation office here. The office for immigration in Vienna is the MA 35. CEU PU is not allowed to apply for a Visa or Residence permit on behalf of students, nor are we legally entitled to make inquiries with relevant authorities on the student's behalf. Please follow the steps on this page for application instructions and recommendations. Please check the government website in case of updates and changes unbeknown to us. 

Please note: citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are encouraged but not required to pay the tuition and enrollment fee prior to applying for a residence permit in Austria. Please check with the relevant Austrian Consulate before your interview, as this information is subject to change.

First-time applicants

Step 1: Find out what you need before entering Austria

  • Non-EU and Non-EEA nationals (third-country nationals): find out if you need a visa to enter Austria. Please check this OeAD list to see if you have the right to a 90-day visa-free stay. If you need a visa to enter Austria, please submit your student residence permit application in your home country as soon as you receive your confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes (see Step 2, item 12 below).
    • 90 Day visa-free entry: we strongly recommend applying for your residence permit in your home country as soon as you receive your admissions offer before traveling to Austria, due to possible delays with the residence permit application process. If you exceed your visa-free stay before your residence permit has been approved, you will need to leave the country until you receive your student residence permit. 

Step 2: Prepare all required documents for the application, listed below

Please make sure that all documents that are not issued in German are filed together with a translation done by a certified court translator.

  • Completed application form for a student residence permit. (You can find the form
    called “Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Antrag" here, along with explanations in English.)
  • Valid passport or equivalent legal travel document. Please make sure that your passport is signed and valid for at least another year at the time of your residence application. 
  • Biometric passport photo. Make sure that the photo is not older than 6 months. Please check the required specifications of the photo on the government website
  • Birth certificate, or another equivalent document. You will need an Apostille or diplomatic certification.
    If applicable, please also bring the following documents: 
    - Marriage certificate.
    - Civil partnership certificate.
    - Divorce certificate.
    - Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership.
    - Adoption certificate.
    - Documents proving family relationships.
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (Proof of ownership, lease, rental agreement). Read more about housing options in Vienna here.
  • Document that shows your monthly rent or running costs of the accommodation. This information is usually included in your rental contract or agreement. 
  • Travel health insurance that is valid in Austria and covers all risks. An original letter from your insurance company confirming coverage in Austria is recommended. Once in Vienna, CEU will provide health insurance for all students enrolled in full-time degree programs. 
  • Proof of enough means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. scholarship, bank statement of the last six months, proof of regular payments made to the bank account). Persons under 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least EUR 552.53. Persons over 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least EUR 1000.48. Please make sure that the bank account is in your name.  (If you have been awarded a monthly stipend as part of your CEU financial aid, you can deduct its amount from the required minimum monthly income.) Please also consult our Proof of Sufficient Funds Guidelines.
  • Adequate proof of the source of funds. Examples: certificate of employment with salary information, pay slips, financial aid or scholarship confirmation. Please include a written declaration that explains where the finances are coming from (e. g. if you have saved money while working please state so, if you receive money from your parents or legal guardians, your legal guardians or parents will need to provide a written declaration stating that the finances are coming from them and that they are solely at your disposal).
  • Statement of Financial Liability/declaration of guarantee (Haftungserklärung) if your stay in Austria is sponsored by someone residing in Austria. Please see further information on the government website if this applies to you. 
  • Certificate of good conduct/Criminal Record with apostille, which is usually available at your local police station and should not be older than three months at the time of application. 
  • Your "confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes" issued by CEU. You will receive this document from the CEU Admissions Office prior to your visa appointment.

Step 3: Make an appointment

Please make an appointment at your local Austrian embassy, or at the MA 35 office in Vienna. The appointment should be scheduled no earlier than mid-June and no later than July. Please apply in person. If you are applying at the MA 35, please check their office hours on the website.

For more information, please visit our Visa and residence permit FAQ page.

Extension of residence permit (renewals)

If you need to renew your Austrian student residence permit, please follow the instructions here.