Undergraduate students who are enrolled in a degree program at another university or higher education institution which does not have a valid student exchange contract with CEU may apply for a visiting student status on a self-financing basis.
In this case the tuition fee is based on the amount of credits they wish to take.
- 360 EUR per credit or audit for all credited bachelor's and master's courses
- 460 EUR per credit or audit for all credited doctoral courses
- 200 EUR per course for all 0-credit bachelor's, master's and doctoral courses
- 22.70 EUR per term - Austrian Student Union (ÖH) Fee
- 20 EUR per month - Enrollment fee
Visiting students from Ukraine
To express solidarity with the victims of the invasion of Ukraine and assist with their academic future, CEU is welcoming students enrolled in degree programs at Ukrainian universities in the academic fields represented at CEU: social sciences, humanities, legal studies, economics and business, environmental sciences and policy. CEU aims to support those whose studies have been interrupted by the war.
Interested students from Ukraine may register to attend onsite courses offered at CEU as visiting students for credit. CEU will waive all fees for the academic year 2023/24.
Eligibility of students for exchange studies at CEU is based on a valid exchange agreement signed by the student's home university and CEU.
Please note that all students applying for an exchange period at CEU must apply through their home university. Students on exchange programs may stay at CEU for one or two trimesters without the option of obtaining a CEU degree.
Once you have been nominated by your home university's coordinator we will get in touch with you to provide detailed information about the online application procedure. Please meet the deadline with the submission of your form.
- 22.70 EUR per term - Austrian Student Union (ÖH) Fee
Below you can find a list of the documents you need to prepare for your non-degree application at CEU. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
After creating a new account for the first time, you will need to specify the following:
Type of course: Non-degree studies: Exchange, Erasmus+, Visiting, Doctoral Support
Department: Undergraduate Studies
Click search, and out of the 3 application form click on :
- Visiting, if you are not enrolled at any higher education institution currently, or your Home university has no agreement signed with CEU.
- Exchange, if your Home university has an agreement signed with CEU.
- Erasmus, if your Home university has an agreement signed with CEU and you plan to study at CEU within the Erasmus+ Framework
Please provide us with
- an official or certified copy of your most recent Transcript of Records from the higher education institution last or currently attended and
- (if applicable) a Certificate of Enrollment from the higher education institution currently attended
If your transcripts are not in English, please provide an English translation of each, certified by your school or a registered translator – along with the originals.
An official translation bears the stamp and signature of an official of the institution or the translator.
You’ll need to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting your results on standardized English language tests such as TOEFL or others listed below.
You may request an exemption from this requirement by answering the question about English Language Qualifications in the Qualification section of the online application form. Exemptions will be considered if any of the following apply:
- your first language is English
- you are enrolled at an English-speaking university
- you’ve been enrolled for at least two years at a high school where teaching is exclusively in English
- you’ve scored 5 or more in English (HL or SL) in the International Baccalaureate (IB)
- you’ve scored 650 or more on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing portion of the SAT
- your ACT score is 27 or more for both English and Reading
If the language of instruction is not clearly stated in your high school credentials, you’ll need to upload an official letter from the school confirming that you were taught exclusively in English throughout your studies.
If you are submitting a test score of one of the exams listed below, you’ll need to upload your score report in the online application.
|Test type||Minimum Overall/Total Score Required|
|TOEFL (Internet-based; not older than two years at the time of application)||88|
|TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition (Internet-based; not older than two years at the time of application)||88|
|TOEFL (Paper-based; not older than two years at the time of application)||570|
|IELTS (Academic; not older than two years at the time of application)||6.5|
|IELTS Indicator (not older than two years at the time of application)||6.5|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic; not older than five years at the time of application)||59|
|Cambridge English: C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (not older than five years at the time of application)||180|
|Euroexam Academic English C1 (not older than two years at the time of application)||Pass|
|Duolingo English Test (not older than one year at the time of application)||125|
CEU's ETS institution code is 0069.
Please submit a letter of motivation explaining why you chose to apply to CEU, why your program of choice matches your interests and aspirations, and how you think you would contribute to the CEU community.
Your CV should be in reverse chronological order and a bullet-point format. We’d like to see your secondary education history and any extracurricular activities, exchange programs, academic competitions, and volunteering or work experience that you think is relevant.
You may use the following document as a template:
Please note that this is just an example — feel free to adjust it according to your needs.
(If applicable) Please check the Course list(s) for Visiting and Exchange Students here and list the courses you wish to attend on the relevant form at the bottom of this section.
CEU doesn't have minimum credit requirement for Visiting/Exchange Students. Please review our credit policy below. This will help you with the course selection.
NOTE: Course lists are subject to change throughout the Academic Year. You may need to update the list before the registration period.
CEU operates in a trimester system, where the terms are as follows:
- Fall Term: September – December
- Winter Term: January – March
- Spring Term: April – June
For further information please see our Academic Calendar.
|regular number of US credits*||maximum number of US credits|
*At CEU, 1 US undergraduate course credit is equivalent to 12 x 60-minute (720 minutes) classroom contact hours and complying with the associated assessment requirement. The conversion ratio between US credits and ECTS is 1:2.
Course list form for Visiting and Exchange Students:
(If applicable) In order to enable your recommender to send in their letter, you need to register them in the relevant section of the online application form AND submit your application; They won’t receive an email with a link to a recommendation form until after you have submitted your application.