In CEU’s bachelor’s degree in Culture, Politics and Society, you will study with peers from around the world, examine issues from a variety of perspectives, learn to present your ideas and knowledge effectively, and prepare for exciting careers, all in beautiful Vienna.
Why choose the CEU Culture, Politics and Society bachelor’s degree?
Because you will:
- earn an American and Austrian bachelor’s degree in four years
- enjoy the U.S. liberal arts undergraduate experience in Europe
- live in Vienna, the world’s most livable city
- study in another country in year 3
- benefit from a private university education at a reasonable cost
- learn from world-class faculty in one of Europe’s top research universities
- access a wide variety of career paths
Watch a webinar on Culture, Politics and Society with professors and current students
What will you learn in a liberal arts program at CEU?
You will be able to:
- determine what’s fact and what’s fake
- critically analyze various information sources to form your opinion
- seek inspiration in fields from ancient philosophy to cutting-edge social sciences
- sift through information, make connections and draw your own conclusions
- use data and digital tools to present your ideas
Sound good so far? We think so. We’ve tailored the program so that you will delve into a variety of topics in the humanities and social sciences, focus on what interests you most, and emerge with a multitude of skills and knowledge that you can put to use in the real world. So if you want to:
- challenge yourself in the classroom and beyond
- become an active member of a global intercultural community
- tackle the world’s biggest problems
- make a difference using your knowledge and ideas
- be a savvy consumer of culture and a producer of knowledge
- and open a world of career options
…then CEU’s undergraduate liberal arts degree in Culture, Politics and Society is for you. In your first year, you’ll take a mandatory set of courses with all your classmates, where you’ll be introduced to themes in many of these subjects and examine the relationships between them.
Later, you can take courses in these subjects, then major and minor in what you like best!
- CULTURAL AND HISTORICAL STUDIES
- POLITICAL, LEGAL, AND GOVERNMENTAL STUDIES
- SOCIAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
- VISUAL THEORY AND PRACTICE *
*Only as a double major in combination with one of the other majors.
|Sociology and Social Anthropology
|Visual Theory and Practice
How does that sound? Want to hear more?
and stay in the know about everything admissions-related at CEU!
How does CEU's Culture, Politics and Society program work?
In the Culture, Politics and Society bachelor’s degree program, you’ll explore how society works from a variety of angles – political, cultural, historical, sociological, and more. At the same time, you’ll learn to communicate your newfound knowledge effectively, in writing, by presenting, through a podcast, making a short film, assembling images, or using data to produce infographics. You’ll also have the opportunity to expand and use your knowledge outside the classroom. You will enjoy:
- small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 7:1
- discussion-based seminars where you’ll participate and contribute your own ideas
- individual attention from leading professors and researchers
- a community of faculty and students from more than 100 countries
- courses with all your classmates in the first year, then increased specialization and course choice as you progress within the program
- experiential learning opportunities outside the classroom each year
- personal supervision by a professor for your capstone project in your fourth year
At the end of four years, you’ll have an Austrian and an American bachelor’s degree (BA).
What next? What careers can you consider?
The CEU bachelor’s degree in Culture, Politics and Society combines traditional liberal arts with experiential learning, a foundation that supports many exciting career paths. Your competence in analyzing and communicating knowledge will be in high demand. You’ll be ready to continue your studies in graduate school or start a career in media or business, government or non-profits, startups or multinationals. Here are some examples: pursue a master’s or Ph.D. degree at CEU or other leading universities in subjects such as:
Pursue a career at:
- universities and think tanks
- consulting and PR firms
- media and advertising companies
- theaters, museums, and galleries
- NGOs and international organizations
- government and policymaking bodies
- startups and incubators
- large companies and multinationals
For example, after graduating with a BA in Culture, Politics and Society, you could work at an NGO that promotes renewable energy infrastructure where you’d be able to:
- independently master industry and scientific multimedia sources on new developments in renewable energy technology and policy
- identify relevant experts and communicate with them
- develop your own view of best practices for technological and government frameworks for promoting renewable energy
- present your work to your organization and to the public with written reports, big data presentations, website development, and visual media campaigns
- show leadership in team and group projects
- effectively and confidently communicate your work to colleagues, to government officials, and to the public at large in multimedia presentations
- organize events for the public and relevant stakeholders
How to apply to the CEU bachelor’s degree program?
To apply to CEU’s bachelor's programs, you’ll need to gather documents such as transcripts, your CV and proof of English proficiency, obtain a recommendation letter, write a motivation letter and an essay, and fill out the application form online, where you’ll also upload everything and pay the application fee. Here you can find a list of what you’ll need for your application. To apply to the Culture, Politics and Society bachelor’s degree program, you’ll need to write an essay about what you see as the most important challenge we are facing today. The topic can be of a social, political, cultural, economic, or environmental nature - or a combination. How do you imagine a degree in Culture, Politics and Society will help make sense of this challenge, and of trying to tackle it? We’re looking for your opinion, your analysis, and your passion. You can find more information here. Once you’ve submitted your application, CEU faculty and admissions staff review it alongside all the others. Finalists are invited for interviews with a panel of professors, then decisions are made, and successful applicants are notified.
Ready to apply? We hope to #SeeUatCEU!
How much does a CEU bachelor’s degree cost?
Tuition for each of CEU’s bachelor’s degree programs is 7,000 EUR per year. This does not include the application fee, student enrollment fee, accommodation, or living expenses, but CEU will cover the cost of health insurance for you! Click here for more information. There are scholarship opportunities available with CEU and from other organizations.
Want to hear more?
and stay in the know about everything admissions-related at CEU. We hope to #SeeUatCEU!